Thursday, January 5, 2012

Snails shells from Oman

I just recalled when we went to Oman during Bakrid holidays- we went to  Qurm beach. Awwwesome  beach  We have a habit of picking things from places we visit. These things that we pick ends up as showcase items at my house. Last time when we went to Turkey we collected some pine cones.[image below]


When we went to one of the Oman beach- the pretty Musandam beach,  we collected stalactites and stalagmites. As usual we started picking stones and shells from the shores of the beach .It was fun because ,as we pick each shell ,we compete with each other fighting at picking the best shell as possible.
I  saw a bunch of snail shells which attracted my curiosity..The snail shells looked so pretty with its cute  designs and  I started picking up handful of snail shells..I had a plastic kit in my bag luckily so I started collecting the shells into the kit.I asked my husband whether the shells have life bcos I don’t want the shells to move inside my hand bag. He assured it dint have life and confirmed it was washed ashore since the creatures inside it were dead. We stuffed handful of pretty snail shells into my bag..
When we reached back to dubai we immersed the shells and conch and stones in a bucket of water. We were so tired so we slept off .The following day  we went to office and reached back home after office in the evening..felt very odd tat the water we had kept the shells and conch and stone started developing  stinking  smell like sea water.It had developed a flesh smell in it. I assumed it is due to the conch as It had spent it life among the sea creatures.I emptied the water carefully and poured fresh water in it in order to clean it . I changed water many times each time throwing washed water. I kept a cloth on the slab and started keeping snails one by one to let it dry. So tat we can start making some decoration stuff with these shells.. I had finally finished my job cleaning the shells and let the shells dry and  I continued with my daily chores.
After some time when I went to have a glance of the shells , I felt the snail shells were moving. To my amazement tat was true the shells were really moving indeed. It had a kind of slimy yellow creatures inside the shells. And it was moving slowly on the cloth tat I had laid. EEeeeeeee…. I dint waste time I packed the snails in the cloth and decided  to throw it away somewhere as soon as possible.The shells were thrown  in the garbage chut. So the funny part in the Oman trip remained here tat  the shells who were enjoying the nice beach shore ended up in dubai garbage chut !!
It gives me creeps when I think these shells were moving inside my bag. :) he he ..Pity the shells  they would get burned into ashes in the garbage chute We could have let them in some of the dubai beach..But during that time we dint have other choice than to throw them away in the chute!

2 comments: